The Bexley team

You may see one or more health professionals. Here are some of the specialists you may see and explain what they do.


Extended scope practitioner (ESP)

A highly skilled physiotherapist who specialises in a specific clinical area. Our service has upper limb, lower limb, spine and pain ESPs. They assess patients, order investigations (blood tests, scans - CT, MRI, Ultrasound, DEXA) and start simple, non-surgical treatments.

Musculoskeletal physiotherapist

A specialist therapist with expertise in treating joint, bone and muscle problems and disabilities.

Hand therapist

An occupational therapist or physiotherapist who specialises in assessing, diagnosing and treating hand and upper limb problems. They often help to speed up patients' recovery after surgery.


A specialist in assessing, diagnosing and treating foot problems. A podiatrist is qualified to care for people with sports injuries and conditions such as arthritis and diabetes.

Pain consultant and Pain clinical nurse specialist (CNS)

The consultant has specialised training in chronic pain management. The nurse has extra training and expertise in managing chronic painful conditions and works alongside the pain consultant.

Rheumatologist/rheumatology consultant and clinical nurse specialist (CNS)

The consultant specialises in the diagnosis and treatment of rheumatological conditions.  The nurse has extra training and expertise in rheumatology and works with the rheumatologist. The CNS runs chronic arthritis assessment clinics and the rheumatology patient helpline, teaches patients how to give themselves specialist treatments such as injections, and co-ordinates blood monitoring for patients on specialist therapies.

Orthopaedic surgeon

A doctor who specialises in orthopaedic surgery.