In Bromley

Bromley Healthcare provides community health services for children and young people in Bromley. Its website provides the full contact details for their services which include: community paediatricians, short breaks, school nursing, integrated community nursing, occupational therapy, speech and language therapy, physiotherapy and other children's services. For further information, you can contact Bromley Healthcare on 020 8315 8880.

We provide Child and Adolscent Mental Health Services (CAMHS) in Bromley. 

The Bromley Council website provides comprehensive information for young people with Special Educational Needs (SEN), including those with learning disabilities. The local authority offers support with social care, education, housing and employment. Bromley is a Pathfinder Champion for the Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND) reforms.

The Bromley LD Team can be contacted on 020 8461 7100. This is a joint specialist health and social care team. For social care, the manager for the Transitions team is Trevor Uys. For health, the Clinical Lead for Transition is Mark Bradley. Trevor and Mark are working together to support the development of local services for young people in transition as part of the SEND reforms in Bromley.

In addition to the work carried out by the community children's services, the vision for health service support for young people with learning disabilities in Bromley is:

  • School/community nursing working with the Clinical Lead for Transition will support the identification of all young people with learning disabilities from 14+
  • GPs in Bromley (from April 2014) will be offered encouragement and support to include young people with learning disabilities on their new 'health check registers' - aged 14+
  • Participating GPs to provide annual health checks for all young people with learning disabilities as part of the 'Directed Enhanced Service' - aged 14+
  • Every young learning disabled person is offered a Personal Health Profile
  • All of the above, in addition to children's community health service input, will contribute to the health component of the EHC (Education, Health and Care) plans
  • Working with young people's services and families, the recently published Health Equality Framework will be introduced.

The Young People's Advocacy Project is provided by Advocacy for All across Bexley and Bromley. Its contact number is 020 8300 9666.

For support and information around welfare benefits for young people in transition, Gill Eldridge is the family services manager working with Bromley Mencap and she can be contacted on 020 8466 0790. Bromley Mencap also run several leisure services for young people with learning disabilities aged 14 plus.

Bromley Parent Voice offers advice to families and carers who support young people with learning disabilities. There is helpful information on its website relating to transition.

Finally, the My Life Portal is a useful resource for families and carers, developed by Bromley Council.

Further information

Contact Mark Bradley (Clinical Lead for Transition) for any further information relating to health services and transition for young people with learning disabilities at or by phone on 020 8269 3349.