Your Information

In order to make sure you get the best possible health care we keep information about you in your medical records.

This information includes:

  • Basic details about you, such as your name, address and next of kin
  • Contacts we have had with you, such as visits to clinics
  • Notes and reports about your health, any treatment and care you need or receive
  • Results of investigations, such as x-rays and laboratory tests
  • Information from other health professionals, relatives or those who care for you and know you well.

If you want to request a copy of your medical records or require other information, please email the Information Governance Office on

Or you can write to:

The Information Governance Office
Oxleas NHS Foundation Trust
Bracken House
Bracton Centre
Off Leyton Cross Road
Kent DA2 7AF

Tel: 01322 299858


Who can access your medical records

You may be seen by a number of staff within the trust and may be transferred from one clinical service to another. The information you give to us will be available to all staff involved in your care.

Sharing information with other care providers

We share relevant information so doctors, nurses and other health professionals working for other care providers can access your health records, including test results, details of allergies and information about any previous treatment. The linked information system for care providers in South East London is the London Care Record.

Sharing information with other organisations

We will not give information about you to other organisations - such as housing departments, voluntary sector providers or education services - without your consent. However, there may be circumstances when either you or someone else might be at risk. In these circumstances, we have a legal obligation to share information with other organisations.

Seeing your medical records

You have a right to see information we hold about you under General Data Protection Regulations. This is known as ‘right of subject access’ and you will need to complete a subject access request form, provide proof of identification and may be asked to explain what information you require.

Someone else accessing your medical records

Other people who need to see your medical records, can write to the Information Governance Office on your behalf, as long as they have written permission from you.

This includes a legal representative, such as a solicitor, or any person instructed by a court to support you if the court decides that you are unable to do some things by yourself, and you need help from someone else.

Accessing your child’s medical records

If you are a parent or guardian of a child under 16, you can ask to see their medical records. You will need to write to our Information Governance office and complete a Subject Access Request Form.

If your child is old enough to make a decision about this, you may not be able to see their records without their consent.

Accessing a deceased person’s medical records

Requests can be made under the Access to Health Records Act (1990), by contacting the Information Governance Team. They can be made by the person's personal representative (the executor or administrator of the deceased person's estate) or any other person who may have a claim arising out of the patient's death.

Please note that only records directly relevant to a claim will be released.

You may not be able to see the records if they contain information that the person expected to remain confidential. In addition, the trust may refuse access if we believe that the information would cause serious harm to the mental or physical health of any other person.

Updating personal details in medical records

It is very important that we have your correct details. If you change your name, address or telephone number, please tell your care co-ordinator so that we can update these details on your medical records.

Make a complaint

If you are not happy about the way we handle your personal information and would like to make a complaint, you can speak to a member of staff in the Information Governance Office or make a formal complaint to our Complaints Department.

If you are still not pleased with the outcome, you have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner (the person responsible for regulating and enforcing the Data Protection Act). The Information Commissioner can be contacted at the following address:

The Information Commissioner's Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane
Cheshire, SK9 5AF

For further information, you can visit their website at Information Commissioner's Office (ICO)

we’re kind we’re fair we listen we care